Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sour Cream Poppyseed Cake Recipe -- The BEST!

Since drinking my first Lattes at the Trident Cafe and Bookstore in Boulder, CO in the early 90's I've been in search of a certain type of poppyseed cake recipe. Many mornings before work at the first Wild Oats market stores, I'd zip over to "The Trident" and order a latte and a poppyseed muffin. It was a recipe that was different than most lemon or orange flavored versions -- rather it was made with sour cream and was citrus-free! I loved it. Over the years when roaming into cafes or bakeries I'd spy something similar, but alas, they would ALWAYS have some type of citrus either in the batter, or coated on top. Yeck.

Finally, I decided to search around online and found an obscure recipe that looked just about right. I tried it last night to serve at small group and it was FABULOUS! Yea! My first effort was slightly underdone so I didn't snap a picture, but next time -- I promise -- I'll document my creation.

Meanwhile, here is the recipe:

Sour Cream Poppyseed Cake
preheat oven to 350 (I may try 325, and bake it a little longer next time)

Sift:
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt

Beat:
2 egg whites until stiff, set aside
(use the yokes in butter / sugar mixture below)

Cream:
1 C butter
2 C sugar
2 egg yokes
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/4 t almond extract

Add alternatively to above mixture:
1 C sour cream or yogurt
5 T poppyseeds
Flour mixture

Then fold in gently the beaten egg whites.

Spoon into greased loaf pan.

Bake 350 for 60+ minutes
Cool in pans for 10-15 minutes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, seriously, I am very happy for you to select photos & use, along with words; I don't really think I can write word for you. I hope this is OK, like your blog.3
Cheap Flights to Adelaide
Flights to Adelaide
Adelaide Flights

Veer said...

Nice blog. Interesting information.
This looks like a very nice place! I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.

<cheap flights to cebu
< Flights to cebu
< cebu flights

louis vuitton outlet said...

We sell the best replica handbags with the cheap price, Louis Vuitton , Hermes and Gucci. Choose one now!