Monday, June 28, 2010

Moving a Bee Hive

A few days before hand, I'd transfered my 'super nuc' into it's own new hive (I'm trying a traditional 10 frame this time), and put Tanya's nuc into her own hive (that I'd borrowed to create my super nuc). We had successfully raised (or rather the bees had) a laying queen that looks great (nice and big, like a date!), and now it was time to transfer the hive to it's new home just a 7 minute drive away. Tanya looked online and said that the info on moving a hive was rather limited, so I'll at least tell you what we did!

My brother, Scott is very handy-dandy so I trusted completely what he came up with. 
First: He used packing tape to tape up the cracks between each box. 


Second: He used strapping to hold the entire hive together.

Third: Since our drive was only 7 minutes, we stuffed the entrance hole with playdough. Generally, you are supposed to use some type of screening that I guess you'd nail or staple in place. But playdough seemed so simple and easy. Scott taped the playdough in place for good measure.

Fourth: Scott and Victor carried the hive to the car. I'm the type of beekeeper that gets fully dressed to do anything related to my hives. I have no pride about not wanting beestings. So, to see them do all of this without anything makes my skin crawl. When the TRANSFER event approached, I decided that this was a man-job. Sorry ladies. Having never done this, I was happy to have the men take over.

They plunked the hive into the back. As you can see, Tanya put up a quilt for good measure ... but I don't think a bee could get out of that Fort Knox if they wanted to!

Proud new beekeeper!

Carrying the bees to their new home.

Setting her down.

Now ... to unlock Fort Knox.

Success!!

13 comments:

The Domestic Goddess said...

Pretty cool photos of moving the hive. But I couldn't help wondering if those were the same pants my brother wore to his eight grade graduation. I'll be nice and not mention what year it was :p

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Nice photos of the hive. Looks like a pretty delicate job!

Check out my life in Malaysia at:

www.duncaninkuantan.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

great blog! you are pretty inspirational, I'm hoping to have bees and grows veggies here in sicily once we find our piece of land! thanks for the great photo's! keep it up!
georgia

knitgirl said...

Your hobby of beekeeping seems so interesting! I too enjoy knitting. I look forward to following your blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, seriously, I am very happy for you to select photos & use, along with words; I don't really think I can write word for you. I hope this is OK, like your blog.
Cheap Flights to Xiamen
Flights to Xiamen
Xiamen Flights

Cheap Flights said...

i came through refrence on your blog its good blog ...........
Cheap Flights to Miami |Cheap Flights to New York

Anonymous said...

Fresenius ensures the renal scam isn't going anywhere anytime soon ($5k/wk/pt from general fund).
Chevron/Rockafeller's efforts to repress alternate technologies/fuel sources, petrolium power plants in the 20th century has guarenteed petrolium won't be phased out.
The gods extensive use of this tactic occurred in this Situation as well:::The proprietors' financial interests and the career paths of their offspring ensures the gods are free to enforce their positioning to the end despite destroying my childhood to get here.
The only way Planet Earth will achieve sustainability is if we "take out the trash" and the gods allow the most disfavored among us to be terminated by eliminating reincarnation for those individuals. The bouy is sinking, social decay is becoming ruinous and unless it begins to rise to the surface the gods will get their way and life will end on Planet Earth.

Stoneworth india said...

I have appreciate when read blog you have send a good message for people. I am enjoy read your blog.....thanks


Anonymous said...

best paid to click site in the world join now is free http://55b1f1b0.linkbucks.com

Unknown said...


Very Nice Post...........

Hot Scandels

Unknown said...

201
Very nice work i like it
Stainless Steel Planters

2rubes said...

Hi Sandy,
I'm trying to send you a email and lovecookcreateknit@yahoo.com doesn't work. A friend of mind is writting a book and would like to use some of your pictures.
Could you email me at rubes@countryrubes.com?
Thanks, Janet

fifa-munzen said...

Drittens: Da unsere Fahrt war nur 7 Minuten, gefüllte wir den Eingang Loch mit Knetmasse. Im Allgemeinen sollen Sie irgendeine Art von Überprüfungen, die ich denke, Sie Nagel oder eine Klammer an Ort und Stelle benutzen würde. Aber Knetmasse schien so einfach und leicht. Scott Klebeband die Knetmasse in Ort für eine gute Maßnahme.

FIFA 15 Münzen PS4

FIFA 15 Münzen XBOX One