Friday, December 14, 2007

Yummy SCONES!



I always thought scones were difficult to make! Not so! You use baking soda and baking powder -- no yeast. You don't even use a mixer! The yumola recipe I used was a simple Fannie Farmer recipe from my classic Fannie Farmer cookbook (a must-have). I chose the buttermilk scone recipe because I still had some buttermilk leftover from Thanksgiving.
Here's the recipe:
"Sharon's Buttermilk Currant Scones"
3 C Flour
1/3 C plus 2 T Sugar
2 1/2 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Baking soda
3/4 t Salt
3/4 C Butter
1C Buttermilk
3/4 C Currants (I used raisins as a substitute)
1 t Grated Orange Rind (I used 1 T)
1 T Heavy Cream
1/4 t Cinnamon

Oven 400 degrees. Ungreased baking sheet. Combine flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir w/ fork to mix and aerate. Cut butter into flour mixture, using two knives or pastry blender until mixture looks like crumbs. Add buttermilk, currants, and orange rind. Mix only until dry ingredients are moistened. Gather dough into ball and press so it holds together. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead twelve times. Divide dough in two and pat each half into a circle 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. In a small bowl combine cream, cinnamon, and remaining 2 T sugar, stirring to blend. Brush the dough w/ this glaze. Cut each circle into eight pie-shaped pieces. Place scones slightly apart on baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until tops are slightly browned. Serve hot.

2 comments:

a. borealis said...

Okay, seriously...I've been absolutely PINING for scones recently. All the recipes I have called for at least a cup of heavy cream, which we don't have on hand. I should give this recipe a try!

Something about Alaska Fishing Lodge said...

I do love a good and well risen scone and indeed these look fabulous GF or not, I would def love to try one or maybe two.