Saturday, February 23, 2008

In Memory of "Bobby D"

"Bobby D" as we called him, went home to be with the Lord last week. His life was filled with peaks and valleys, but his heart was dear and his eyes were twinkling. One of his loves and gifts was his effortless ability to whip up something fabulous in the kitchen. After an abundant tomato harvest one year we happened to have a church potluck at our house. Bobby D had been simmering his "gravy" (Italian red sauce) all day, and brought it over in a crock pot. Wow. It was fabulous. I was over ten years younger and had never made my own sauce ... and if I had, it wouldn't have tasted that good! With my enormous stock pile of fresh tomatoes in mind, a few days later, I called Bobby D up over the phone and begged him to tell me how he did it. Generous man that he was, he shared it with me. Now, Bobby D was the type of cook to throw stuff in without measuring so know that this is just the version that he was able to call out to me on the phone. I made it not to long ago for family night, and let me tell you, it got rave reviews.
.
So, In His Memory ... Here is Bobby D's Gravy.
.
Cover bottom of large pan with extra virgin olive oil
6 - 8 cloves garlic crushed
1 1/2 medium or 2 small yellow onions chopped
Cook garlic and onion over med-low heat.
Add 3-4 pork chops with bone to pan.
Simmer for 1 hour.
Add 1/2 of 24oz can of crushed tomatoes plus a little water.
Nice big handful of fresh basil chopped.
Black Pepper & Salt (he didn't mention it, but I added crushed red pepper too ... I like it hot)
Simmer 3 hours.
De-bone pork chops - discard bones.
Remove pork from pan.
Add remaining 1/2 of 24oz can of tomatoes.
Puree sauce with Cuisinart or one of those handy-dandy wand soup pureer thing-a-ma-jigs.
Put pork back in. (I smashed the pork with fork to make the pieces smaller)
Add remaining cans of tomatoes (5 - 24oz cans crushed tomatoes)
Cook for at least another hour.
If bitter add a dash of sugar or cook with a carrot.
Add more water to get proper consistency -- ("gravy" is quite runny)
.
Enjoy . . . And remember a man who loved people, cooking, sushi, gospel music with a good beat, "gabbing", his gravy, "his girls", and the Lord.
.
"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" "Lamentations 3:22-24

No comments: