Friday, July 25, 2008

Garden Update


Here is the status of my Victory Garden. Aphids are rampid. Today I sprayed the garden with a soapy water spray. Hopefully this will make a dent in the infestation. The deer haven't destroyed anything recently (I am afraid to be too positive), however Thumper and the E.B. (Easter Bunny) have moved in. Tonight while eating pizza on our front wrap-around porch Victor noticed a RABBIT (I think it was Thumper) hopping along like he owned the place. The nerve. My carrot and beet tops have obviously been someones lunch and dinner in spite of being totally surrounded by marigolds. More pepper spray and grated Ivory Soap I guess.

.


On a more upbeat note ...


My "Nutri-Bud Broccoli" has performed beautifully. I have always thought that broccoli was tough to grow, but this year it was problem free. I cut off the large center crowns when they were ready and then waited for other smaller shoots to sprout up. I need to replant again as broccoli is content in cooler weather.


.

My potatoes are almost ready. My Father-in-law (who is from Portugal and knows a thing or two about gardening and especially about potatoes) told me that potatoes stay in the ground for 3 months, which basically boils down to waiting until the plants are completely done flowering. Then, the plants should be trimmed down --- wait one week --- then dig them out. While I was trimming the tops off I ran into several potatoes here and there, and they looked beautiful! My red potatoes are the most gorgeous red, and the Russian Banana fingerling potatoes look impressive. Of course I will be worried until I pull them all out of the ground that they are half devoured by some pest or other -- but what I saw today looked encouraging. This is the first time I've tried growing potatoes. It seems miraculous to me. Better than unwrapping a gift at Christmastime. Tomatoes, a vegetable I've grown for years, plod along from seedling to plant to flowers to fruit. But, you see the whole thing as it happens. Potatoes do this amazing thing behind closed doors. Wonderful.


.

My Siberian Kale is flourishing. I've been making braised mixed greens. Stealing a few branches off of my turnips and beets -- mixing them with the kale. Cover the bottom of a pan with olive oil. Throw in 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of salt (depending on how many greens you're cooking), plenty of freshly ground pepper and a bunch of shakes of crushed red pepper (I like them spicy), thinly sliced garlic and if you have it- some sliced onions -- cook until translucent and slightly golden over medium heat. Then put the greens in -- they should be slightly damp from being rinsed which will help to steam them. Put the cover on the pan. Toss the greens around from time to time. Take off heat when the greens are done to your likeness. Eat!


.

A few of the beets that took early in the season were ready for eating. I baked them in the oven the good ole Fannie Farmer way with butter, salt and pepper. They were fabulous.


.

My zucchini and yellow squash are only doing OK. Some of the flowers are just falling off (not pollinated?) I should have planted more. That is one thing I've learned. I feared having too many of one thing and therefore planted conservatively with some things. But, invariably some plants get eaten, stomped on, or just don't take. This is true for my zucchini, eggplants and okra plants. Next year.


.

My tomato plants are big and loaded with fruit -- but green fruit. As my father was lamenting the other day ... here in New England tomatoes are for August and September and that's it. But, the are worth the wait and the short season.


.

I planted loads of peppers. Cayenne, Jalapeno, Thai, Sweet Red Peppers, Orange Peppers ... especially red pepper plants. I've been worried about them because I was pushing the planting season a little, then we had a cold couple of weeks. I read that peppers wont produce fruit if they are "put out in the cold". So far I have flowers and I am starting to see baby peppers peek out. Exciting.


.

Alright, I've gone on long enough. More gardening news later ....

1 comment:

The Domestic Goddess said...

I was at the Women of Faith Conference this weekend and one of the speakers had the same problem with rabbits. Her friend told her to try human hair around the plants. She got a bag o'hair from her hairdresser and spread it in her garden. Never got around to saying whether it worked or not but I figure it could hurt, right?