Tuesday, August 26, 2008

News

Summer is winding down, school is gearing up. I've almost finished cleaning the house here in Rehoboth from "stem to stern". Once the kids get into school, I'll start attacking clutter that's accumulated (even though I'm pretty relentless about getting rid of things we don't need or use) AND hard core things like the bottom of your bathroom drawers or the bottom of the kitchen "junk drawer".
Benjamin will be in 4th grade! He can't wait to go. He told me about a month ago that he missed school -- he missed his friends and "all of the subjects".
Ripley is starting a Montessori school this year -- they generally believe in five days a week, so Ripley will be going to preschool five mornings a week. Although am at the point in the summer where I'm starting to fantasize about time to myself and concentrating on one task without interruption -- I think I'm going to have to battle some sadness about the Montessori schedule. It's pretty hard core. Last year, Ripley went 3 mornings a week. The other two weekdays we went to story hour at the library or to a sport activity like swimming lessons or hockey. Now, we will have to fit these things into the afternoons.
Speaking of activities ... Benjamin is going to being joining the swim team at the Y. Swimming is something that he is really good at -- more so than sports like soccer and basketball. I'd checked last year, but gave up when the receptionist "thought" that you had to be in Junior High to join. This year I spoke with the head of aquatics. The minimum age is 6. All set! He is excited and so am I.
Ripley is going to take swimming class in the afternoon one day a week, and parent / child soccer at the Y on Saturday mornings. Ripley has an October birthday so he has had to be patient waiting to be old enough to participate in sports he's been ready for since he was 2! Needless to say, he can't wait.

No comments: