Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Upside of Cold

The new place that my brother Scott and his wife Tanya just purchased in town has a small manmade swimming hole in the back woods. Yesterday after school, we took advantage of the cold weather and went for a skate! My brother Scott in his customary form purchased a real-deal ice tester. When they emailed a picture of their family on the ice two nights ago, we rushed over the very next day! What fun. It's a crime, truly, that so many of these joys have been robbed of children in fear of crazy law suits. Several ponds around town carry a sign out front "No Skating". In "wining", we've lost. And it's a shame.

Next time I will be sure to save time to brew some hot cocoa! When Scott and I were kids living in both Illinois and Maine where cold weather is a 'sure thing', Mom would bring along a big thermos of hot cocoa to warm us up. What a treat. Fond memories. Next time! We still have a weeks worth of cold weather in the forecast.

Benjamin and Ripley marching into the woods
Brothers skating
My nephews Spencer and Reese, brothers sliding.
What adorable boys, would you just look at Spencer's blue eyes?!

7 comments:

SAM said...

Nothing like pond skating in the winter -- enjoy it while it lasts!! And yes, hot cocoa is a must!

Anonymous said...

http://joansnaturejournal.blogspot.com/

radhe said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Very informative content and I enjoyed reading your blog keep it up.
atlanta Holiday Packages
Cheap atlanta Holidays
atlantaHolidays

Veer said...

Nice blog. Interesting information.
This looks like a very nice place! I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
<Cheap Flights to Dar Es Salaam
< Flights to Dar Es Salaam
< Dar Es Salaam Flights

Anonymous said...

Great blog- really enjoyed reading it. Have bookmarked you and will check back regular. Please feel free to take a look at my blog...
Xiamen Flights
DalianFlights
Christchurch Flights

E.V.Lakshmi said...

Nice blog.

E.V.Lakshmi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.