Thursday, April 10, 2008

Catching up

Sorry I've been out of touch.
I've been a little down about the seemingly endless rain and 10 degrees lower than normal temperatures for the past month. However, I'm very excited about the 65 degree weather that's warming up outside. Thank the Lord. (Today we had to go to skating class ... me dressed in my long down coat. Ugh. Only two more weeks of classes)
I was finally able to catch up with the laundry after a week of strep throat. It was like going on a vacation where you have to play "catch-up" for over a week to recover. Strep throat wasn't quite like a trip to the Bahama's though. Hmph.
Also this week I've been hard at work trying to trouble shoot my bread baking. I made the Raisin Oatmeal Bread again, but it rose poorly. Totally demoralized I went to The Fresh Loaf website and asked for help in the "forum". (click that link to get to the conversation) This is a place where you can pose questions / problems regarding bread baking and loads of people email you back with suggestions and information. Fabulous. I was so thankful for the help of hard core bread bakers! One man who helped me out a great deal was Mike from Sourdough Home. I'm giving his site a plug because he was so helpful and generous with his time. He has a lot of helpful bread baking tips on his site as well. I have never tried to make sourdough bread, but I think I'll give it a try. Doesn't it sound good? Homemade Sourdough Bread?? MMmmmmm. Anyway, I'm excited to report that yesterday I produced two beautiful whole wheat loaves from The Moosewood Restaurant cookbook. Yum. I'll list that recipe later -- as I want to get outside and enjoy the weather.
My seedlings are coming along nicely. I have peppers, tomatoes, okra, broccoli, broccoli rabe, leeks, kale, herbs planted indoors. And cold weather peas, lettuce and spinach planted outside. Unfortunately the guy who's going to help us enlarge my garden space and plant my fruit trees came down with pneumonia and is set back two weeks. So, sadly I'm on hold outdoors. But two weeks will pass by quickly. More on that later too ... as I'm leaving you know to fold laundry and then to GO OUTSIDE!! Yipee!!

No comments: