Friday, May 29, 2009

Tonight is Pizza Night!

I made these two pizza's below a couple weeks ago with my pizza dough recipe. The recipe makes these two medium sized pies. Tonight I think I will make a double batch for more left overs! You can start making this dough at 3:00 and it will be ready for dinner. Or make it the day before and put it in the fridge, like you see at the grocery store in the dairy section. Or roll/stretch out four individually sized pies, then stick them in the freezer so you will have them handy.

What is the odd looking right half of the pizza pictured below, you ask? Well, the photo doesn't do it justice really. But let me tell you .... it's scrumptious! Recently at a friend's house I sampled this pizza and immediately started making plans to recreate it at home. Okay, okay, what is it?!

It's caramelized onions, crumbled blue cheese and fresh rosemary. Delish.

This is what I did:
Slice thinly 2-3 large onions and saute in olive oil and 1-2 teaspoons sugar on medium-low heat until soft.
When your dough is stretched and ready, put on the caramelized onions, sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese (spotty, not covered) and fresh rosemary leaves. Then bake. Sooooo good!

For the boys it was pepperoni from the deli with cheese. Victor and I also love pepperoni and fresh spinach -- I still had some from our garden, so I tossed it under the cheese. Yum.
I've been struggling to peacefully get my pizza dough onto my pipping hot pizza stone without major mishaps recently. I do the whole cornmeal on a wooden cutting board thing - then shake-scoot the prepared pie off onto the hot stone. But sometimes it sticks, sometimes it slops over the edge of the stone dripping pizza goo over the sides into the oven ... So what I've been doing that's worked better for me is turn on the oven and heat up the stone, stretch the dough on the counter, then open up the oven, pull out the oven rack as far as it will go, sprinkle cornmeal onto the hot stone, then lay the stretched dough right onto the stone -- you will be able to scoot it around a bit on the cornmeal to make a nice shape. If I'm adding something wet like marinara sauce I'll let the dough cook about 2 minutes before opening up the oven again, pulling the rack out, then adding the marinara, cheese, etc. then, cook the pizza until done. 

1 comment:

KO said...

We will give your recipe a try on Sunday. Sunday night is almost always pizza night at our house. Even though the boys don't like pizza - what is wrong with my children. Thanks for the recipe!