Friday, January 11, 2008

LOCAL EGGS ... Aren't they BEAUTIFUL?



Look at these cute things! Today for the first time I was able to purchase LOCAL eggs. As in -- about 3 miles from my house! Now, that's local! (OK, I could have my own chickens.) Antibiotic Free and Hormone Free. Just good old fashioned "Rhode Island Red" Chickens laying their eggs in the most picture-book perfect little hen house you've ever seen (yes, red with white trim). They have a cute little yard to roam around and are adorable. Wonderful!
After feeling like I was going to have to move to the rolling hills of the Virginia countryside to experience LOCAL foods, I started to discover something . . .
Sometime last month I went to the Town Hall to complain that as far as I could tell our trash carrier Waste Tech was taking our recyclables and driving them right to the Taunton Landfill and dumping it (this was after much research and a few miraculous bits of information coming my way). While I was there at the Town Hall I noticed several signs that read "Rehoboth is a Right to Farm Community". So, I went up to the front desk and asked what that means. It basically means that you or your neighbor has the right to have everything from corn, to chickens, to pigs and you can't complain ... even if they smell bad or are cockadoodle-dooing at 4am every morning. Excitedly I went to check out the bylaws in my little rural development and found that much to my chagrin we cannot have anything except a pet (and I don't think George Clooney's pig would pass either). My dream of a few chickens was dashed. Then I got to thinking ... hey, if this is a Right to Farm Community, there have to be some farmers out there that are willing to sell to locals. I found a few things online, but the real scoop came from my local library -- chatting it up with the gals. How wonderfully small town old times is that? The librarian actually called me at home when she'd asked around and found an additional place to get eggs in Rehoboth. Wonderful.
Around this time of year in New England the poor little gals don't lay as many eggs. Lack of sunlight. I can relate to that! So, every morning they put out the eggs, and by mid-morning they are gone. When I say I have fresh local eggs, I'm saying "A Day from Laid"! Apparently, as we get closer to spring, there are plenty of eggs to go around.
So, that is the story of my local eggs.

No comments: