Thursday, May 8, 2008

Where have I been?!

I forget every year how much work is involved in springtime. Now, not only do you have to keep up the inside of your house (which I'm not doing a very good job at), but now you're also enjoying the great outdoors and the beauty of spring while tidying up the outside of your house. This spring has been a different year altogether. Over the past month we have almost completed adding wood chips to our side yard between our yard and the neighbors to cut down on weeds. We do this about once every 3 years and this was THAT YEAR. We had a 20' x 40' garden added to our yard and we had 2 apple trees, 2 pear trees, 2 peach trees, 1 cherry tree and 6 blueberry bushes planted into our side yard -- eliminating two huge areas of grass that no longer will need to be mowed. Lucky Victor. Me on the other hand ... I've been hard at work. I planted several perennial plants -- which like the fruit trees will produce in time, but need some work in the beginning -- including 5 rhubarb plants, 20 strawberry plants and the 30 (yes 30) asparagus plants (from Seeds of Change) that Victor gave me for Valentines Day. I also planted seed potatoes (a first for me) including heirloom Russian Banana, Yukon Gold and Reddale -- all ordered from Abundant Life Seeds. Yesterday I also planted my broccoli and broccoli rabe spoutlettes in addition to more seeds. All of these things could have gone in earlier, but I had to wait for my garden to be put in. I did a lot of transplanting in my perennial garden as well. Not only did several of them need to be split, but I'm making room for a larger kitchen garden for my basil, chives, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, etc. This area is right off my front wrap-around porch, so it's very convenient and leaves more room for vegetables in my larger garden. Already growing in the raised beds I've had for several years now are snap peas, shelling bush peas, 1925 heirloom bloomsdale spinach, May Queen lettuce, rare Scottish Macgreggors favorite beets, Rote Kugel beets, Dragon Carrots, and Chantenay Carrots. Happy Spring!

No comments: