Monday, June 23, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

I made these enchiladas this weekend for a Mexican potluck dinner. An old friend who'd lived in Texas gave me this recipe, I've made a few additions -- and it's yumola! I'm a bit embarrassed because they aren't what I'd call "authentic", but my Mexican American friend loved them -- so they can't be all bad, right?
These are extremely easy. I made the insides and the outsides the night before, then assembled them before putting them into the oven the next day. The recipe calls for 12 tortillas, but I've never found that this recipe makes enough to fill 12 tortillas -- but I buy the 10" flour tortillas, maybe the recipe is meant for the smaller tortillas? Just an FYI.
Ingredients:
Sauce:
16 oz can tomatoes
2 - 2 oz can green chili peppers
1/3 C tomato paste
1 t ground cilantro
1/8 t salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper
.
Filling:
1 T olive oil
2 medium yellow onions - chopped
1/4 t salt
1 t ground cilantro
1 T flour
1 C sour cream
3 C cooked chopped chicken
12 flour tortillas
.
Topping:
2 C Monterrey jack cheese, or Mexican blend shredded cheese
1 C fresh cilantro chopped
1 fresh jalapeno - sliced
.
Sauce: Blend tomatoes, chili peppers, tomato paste, ground cilantro seed, salt, cayenne pepper in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
.
Filling: Cook onions in oil. Add ground cilantro, salt and chicken. Stir flour into sour cream, then mix into onions and chicken.
.
Roll your enchiladas, lining them up into a oiled long casserole. Pour sauce over the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese, sliced jalapenos and fresh cilantro. Bake for 5 more minutes - or until cheese is melted.
I serve with sour cream mixed with Mexican chili powder.

No comments: