Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Not Bad . . .



Not Bad. Here is my first big harvest of Bloomsdale Spinach and May Queen Lettuce. Wow. Yumola.

In the garden however, I have been riddled with bugs. I've tried all kinds of Neem spray and an Oil Spray -- however when I realized (thanks to friend Vivian) that I was infested with Potato Beetles, I had to use Seven -- suffice it to say, it's not organic. It's pretty mild stuff, but it was either that or kiss my potatoes, tomatoes and peppers goodbye. (this was even after trying to chase these little whipper snappers around my potato plants -- hats off to those of you who have the time, patience and talent for that. 9 times out of 10 you pull a leaf or two off with a beetle. I looked it up on the natural gardening book I've had out from the library for months it seems and that's what they had suggested. Apparently, Potato Beetles are especially prevalent in the small home garden. Terrific. Anyway folks, I gave up. If anyone has any other ideas -- please let me know. Between my fruit trees and veggie garden I've become a bit consumed by pests. I'm seeing bugs I've never noticed before. As a matter of fact, when walking our little miniature Schnauzer "Church" (weird name, I know) this morning I noticed that our birch trees were being CONSUMED by caterpillars. They blended in so nicely you could hardly notice them -- since I had the Seven all mixed up, I gave them a good blast. Fixed their little red wagon.

No comments: