Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Aunt Ruthie's Hummingbird Cake



This is a bunt cake family recipe from my Great Aunt Ruthie. After chatting at a small family reunion down in Maryland about my passion for family recipes, and heritage, she sent me four family recipes in the mail. One of the recipe's was my Grandmom Wohler's Raisin Bread recipe that Aunt Ruthie swears comes out best when she uses the recipe written by my Grandmom's own hand (rather than from a copy). Too Cute. I will write out the Raisin Bread recipe later. Now, enjoy Aunt Ruthie's Hummingbird Cake.

3 C flour, 2 C sugar, 1 t salt, 1 t baking soda, 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 C nuts, 1 1/2 t vanilla, 1 1/2 C oil, 2 C mashed bananas, 3 eggs, 1 8oz can crushed pineapple not drained.

By Hand: Mix dry ingredients together, Mix wet ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients stirring with a spoon NOT a mixer. Bake in a greased and floured Bunt pan 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cake will crack slightly on top. Cool in pan for 1 hour before removing.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz softened cream cheese, 1 stick butter, 1 lb. box confectioners sugar, 1 t vanilla.
Cream butter and cheese, add sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Yum. Yum. Yum.
After having TASTED this cake now, I can say with confidence ... WOW!!! It got rave reviews at our small group last night. Yumola!!!
Thank you MINDI for saving me when I realized I didn't have enough confectioner's sugar!!

No comments: