Sunday, January 18, 2009

Scat!

Scat
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from Greek skat-, skor excrement
Date: 1927
:an animal fecal dropping

When I was living in Colorado, reading Farley Mowat's book Never Cry Wolf and preparing for my backpacking trip to Alaska, I became familiar with the term "scat". Once you know to look for it, it's a great way to know what animals are nearby and what they are eating. Well, I can tell you with certainty that a) rabbits are IN my garden with frequency, and b) they are eating my old broccoli plants. Whippersnappers.


They are also hopping through and around my wild blackberries that I'm planning on taming this year. And, clearly, this year I will also be building a fence. Sad, but I've finally embraced the reality that one is needed. I had several encounters with wildlife last season from rabbits stunting the growth of my carrots and beets by nibbling their tops, to deer chomping at my ready to pick peas, and painstakingly trained strawberry plants. So when the ground thaws, I'm hoping to draft Victor to help me build a fence. 
One natural aide has come to my rescue though. Yesterday morning our dog Church was barking as he looked out the slider facing our back woods. I let him out as usual to chase the local squirrel population. But what Church had in his sights was a fox! I wish I could have gotten a picture of him (or her) but I was awestruck looking at this beautiful animal. A very healthy fluffy looking fox with dark red fur and lots of black highlights. As Church came bounding out, the fox, who was checking out our neighbors dog kennel (they have tiny little yapper type dogs), slowly meandered away irritated by the inconvenience of Church's appearance (certainly not scared). Our fox slowly trotted across the back of our woods so that Ripley and I could see him. Ripley asked "Does the fox have sharp teeth?" "Yes" I said. "Then Church should come inside, because I love Church." Poor Church was still way back by the dog kennel running around in circles asking "Which way did he go? Which way did he go?"

No comments: