Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Uuuuunnnnnncccccllllleeeee!!!!

My Father grew up living on a small farm in Montgomery County, Maryland (which his father - an executive - purchased so that his children wouldn't be "spoiled") with three brothers. They worked hard, knew how to have fun -- and from the sound of it -- there were a lot of shenanigans going on at any given moment. The boys (especially the older ones picking on the younger ones, especially the youngest, my father) would torture each other the way boys do -- twisting elbows back, for example. The idea was that in order to be "tough" you had to hold out as LONG as possible before finally giving in and shouting UNCLE!! At which point the older, bigger brother would lay off. (I'm imagining with a few insults like "Wimp!" or something like that.)
As kids, we loved to have "tickle fights" with my father. I even had "tickle me" pajamas. Scott (aka "The Moose") and I would come downstairs in our pajamas -- me in my "tickle me's" -- and we would declare "war". Of course Dad would always win and would end the game tickling us nearly to death until we declared "UNCLE!!!" and Dad was declared official winner.
I bring this up because I am declaring UNCLE!!!!! to the skies hoovering here over New England. We have had the rainiest September on record -- the most rain EVER in the month of September! ENOUGH ALREADY!!! We New Englanders have our fair share of challenging weather of all kinds, but most of us couldn't imagine living in Seattle (God Bless Them) or London (God Bless Them). As if we feel our weather is challenging enough. We are all starting to get cranky and unhappy. Please, just a few days of sunshine .... PLEASE!

UUUUuuuuunnnnnnnnnnccccccccllllllleeeeeee!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Let me know if it works! I might try it during hurricane season! How is all the humidity affecting your garden? By the way I enjoyed looking at the pictures you posted of your garden.

a. borealis said...

Oooooyes, that sounds terrible. All rain and no shine starts to get hard on a person's psyche, and shoot - I grew up in Western WA. Variety is the spice of life.

Sandy said...

God Bless You ... Western, WA. Wow. I see that as an accomplishment! I lived in Boulder, CO for 2 years and that was the best ... 300 days of sunshine a year!

The Humidity has really only tortured my beans that were supposed to be drying on the vine. HA!! Some had mold and had even started sprouting in the pod.